Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Verbal nonviolence and being irritable

One of my hardest to solve personal problems is being irritable: I yell at my kids, I yell at my wife. I don't mean "angry shouting" as much as just being "loud" and cranky.

This is a form of violence, and I can hardly claim to be nonviolent as long as this is such a large part of my personality. I don't have any leanings at all to physical violence, so I don't think I deserve any credit for not being nonviolent that way. I don't like alcohol, so it's easy for me to be against drinking, I don't like gambling, and losing :) , so it's easy for me to disapprove of gambling.

I would be happy to have advice on how to be less irritable. Relaxation techniques and more exercise are the obvious remedies, but any suggestions would be very welcome to me and my family.

No comments: